621 total views
Ways of saying ‘if’
As long as = Only if
- As long as we go somewhere hot.
Suppose + question clause = How about if …
Note: Use this when making a suggestion.
- Suppose we go to America, will that be hot enough?
Unless = If … not
- Unless I get the time off work, I won’t be able to go.
Providing/provided = If
Note: Provided is more formal than providing but has the same meaning.
- Providing I get the time off work, I’ll go.
On the condition that = If
Note: this is very formal and mostly used in writing.
- On the condition that you pay me extra, I’ll work over the holiday.